History

Downtown Santa Rosa, 1945. Southeast corner of Fourth and Hinton (now the downtown square). The Grace Brothers Beer sign predominates. Shows: Sunrise Creamery; Gallen-Kamps Shoes; Sawyer, Jeweler; Topaz Room; Santa Rosa City Hall.

Downtown Santa Rosa, 1945. Southeast corner of Fourth and Hinton (now the downtown square). The Grace Brothers Beer sign predominates. Shows: Sunrise Creamery; Gallen-Kamps Shoes; Sawyer, Jeweler; Topaz Room; Santa Rosa City Hall.

In 1945, shortly before the end of WWII, “The Topaz Room” opened to the delight of the hundreds who had been anticipating Sonoma County’s first up-scale, metropolitan restaurant.  Located next to the police station and city hall, and across the street from the County Courthouse, the event brought social distinction to downtown Santa Rosa and the east side of its Courthouse Square.  Its owner, Theron L. “Roy” Hedgpeth, was well known for his famous inventions such as the “skill saw” and the first auto radio antenna.  “There isn’t a real metropolitan restaurant in Sonoma County, Charlie.  Find the right spot and I’ll put one together,” said Roy to the prominent Santa Rosa realtor Charlie Warren.  Roy was determined to make The Topaz room elegant in every sense, displaying ice carvings, crystal glasses and artifacts from all over the world.

The Topaz Room Dining Room, 1954

The Topaz Room Dining Room, 1954

The San Francisco style waitstaff served guests seated by the beautiful hostess Betty Lacaban, with Betty’s husband, “Hank,” pleasantly serving up cocktails to thirsty Topaz customers.  The Topaz room was the popular venue for city officials and Santa Rosa socialites and admittance of military personnel was restricted to officers only.  After 40 years in operation and three sets of owners, The Topaz room finally closed its doors in 1985.  Now in 2010, a new design for the second floor of the old building has been drawn.  Christy’s on the Square welcomes guests and will continue the tradition of providing exceptional quality and service to patrons of downtown Courthouse Square.

The Topaz Room Bar, 1954

The Topaz Room Bar, 1954